iMagicSoft Support Forum Index iMagicSoft Support
iMagic Software Support

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prevent Overbooking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Restaurant Reservation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcastillo@missioninn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 am    Post subject: Prevent Overbooking Reply with quote

My company purchased this software to manage reservations for our venues. The software satisfies most of our requirements except for one. There is no way I can see to prevent overbooking. We are running v4.12. We are using a milti-access database and have setup 3 restaurants using design view for booking.
I can see there is a setting in the CONFIGURE->GENERAL SETTINGS... window called "Percentage of tables to show on new reservations". But when I change the value, it doesn't stay. It still shows 100% when I go back into the settings screen.
We don't really need the design view, although it would be nice to have. We book reservations in an area separate from the restaurants. We would like at some point to be able to utilize this at the restaurant host podium, but at this point we need to resolve the over-booking issue.
Any help would be appreciated. The documentation does not detail this step.

Daniel
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Yes this is what that setting is designed for. By setting it less than 100% you can control the "workflow" through the restaurant. In this way you can adjust the working capacity of the restaurant and avoid situations where customers are waiting for long periods and staff are overloaded.

I'd suggest downloading the latest version (Help/Check Web for Updates) as we have released a number of updates since that version. I suspect that this will solve the issue.

Also note that currently the Percentage Tables feature will only work with the "booking table list" and not with the "Visual Layout". This is something that we are working on though and hope to have an update to support the Visual Layout too.

Regards, Jon
dcastillo@missioninn.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,
I did update the software to the current revision. This did seem to solve the problem with the percentage tables setting not sticking.
I turned off visual layout and changed the percentage tables setting to 100%. When I make a new reservation and check for availability, I still see 100% of the tables but I have the option to change it again in the same window. from 100% to 10%. This crops the displayed tables to the 10% we need. However, it only shows the top 10% of the tables so only the tables I see are 2-cover size. I can't choose a table that is any other size. THerefore, if I get a reservation for a party of 6 I have to choose 3 2-person tables instead of a 6-person table. Also, I want the available table list to automatically be 10% and hide the setting in the window. Any thoughts?
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

The "Show Percentage" option should automatically be selected when you press the "Check Availability" button, thanks for letting me know I'll get this fixed. But yes it's the same as selecting it manually from the list.

The percentage shown will filter the list of tables to only show that percentage, it doesn't look at the number of covers for each table. That's something for us to look into for the future.

However if you want more control over which tables are shown, rather than the automated percentage, then you'd want to use the Table Blocks. These allow you to specify exactly which tables are available for what period and when.

If you select Configure/Configure Table Blocks you can then create Table Blocks, these allow you to specify when that block is available based on the date and time. Once you'd made a Table Block select Configure/Assign Table Blocks to tell iMagic Restaurant which tables you want in that Block.

Any tables in the Default Table Block are always shown, so deselect them from there too.

So in your example you might choose a combination of 6 cover tables along with 2 cover tables to be available in the evening. By selecting them you can choose exactly which tables you want available.

Regards, Jon
dcastillo@missioninn.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried your suggestion on table blocks. I think there is a bug here as well.
I created a separate venue to test. I only put 16 tables each can hold 4 covers.
I created a table block for all dates and all serving periods.
I assigned the 16 tables to the block and unassigned all tables from the default.
I made multiple reservations under that venue and can see the table list doing as it should. So far so good.
Then...
I wantd to separate the table blocks for the time periods so I changed the one I already made to only breakfast and created 2 more for lunch and dinner. I assigned a different number of tables to each block
I tried making a reservation within the 3 time periods and when I wanted to check availability, I always got only the tables assigned to the breakfast block. It did not matter what time I made the reservation for.
If I disabled the breakfast block, I get a no availability message for lunch and dinner reservations.
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Could you send over your database file? Then I'll be able to see what is happening on your configuration? If you select Help/Send Database to iMagic Support then it should send it straight over.

It does sound like it could be a bug, if it is then I will get it fixed as soon as possible.

Regards, Jon
dcastillo@missioninn.com

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
Thanks for the fix. Now the table blocks are running properly. I would like to add 2 more layers to our issue. First, would it be possible to add time ranges to the table block? I have read other forums where people have asked about this ability.
For instance, our Breakfast period is from 6:30AM to 11:00AM
However, at certain times within breakfast, we can take more or less tables. Say at 6:30 we can book 8 tables but 9:30 we can only book 4.

Also, we created a separate venue for our brunch that runs only on Sundays between 9:30AM to 2:00PM I would like for an option to select all Sundays, or better yet, to select all days individually. This way if I have a brunch on Sunday, I don't have to manually deselect the All Days(Mon-Sat) table block each Saturday and turn on the brunch table block.

Daniel
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

Good I'm glad the update has worked!

It's certainly an interesting idea to expand on the Table Blocks to include times and days. I've noted it on our update list, I'll speak to the development people and see what is possible.

Is this something you are wanting soon or is it just a nice to have?

Regards, Jon
dcastillo@missioninn.com

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For our property I believe we need it. We can't begin using it until we can control the number of tables we allow for reservation booking by time blocks. I think the table blocks method is the best option for what we need instead of the percent available method.
How quickly can I expect a development solution like this to roll out?
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daniel,

We've only just completed an update to iMagic Restaurant so the earliest would be January now. If you really needed it sooner then we could do a custom update, but this is charged per hour, so that might not be an option depending on your situation.

Regards, Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Restaurant Reservation All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: