iMagicSoft Support Forum Index iMagicSoft Support
iMagic Software Support

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Importing invoices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenlinliu1419

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Importing invoices Reply with quote

Jon,
I recently had an outdoor event where I copied my warehouse's DB file onto a laptop and managed to do a few hundred transactions. When I exported out all my "invoices with items" and then imported it back into my main warehouse database, it failed miserably.

Out of the 500 items sold during the outdoor event, only 1 item was updated to my main DB file. I associated all the invoice fields correctly and the stock on hand is more than enough for the update to work. Is there any issue that I should also consider when doing this update?

If this doesn't work, then I am going to end up manually keying in all the invoices all over again just so my main DB file is corrected.
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenlin,

Thanks for the post.

What you're looking at here is similar to a 'database sync', this is not something that is supported in the Standard Edition. There are various technologies that can be used for this process but it's not as simple as it might appear. You could use the custom SalesApp for disconnected clients or if you're using the SQL Server edition you could perform a database replication between databases.

I don't believe you are using either of those though. So yes you could try the File > Export Invoices with Items and File > Import Invoices, however, you would need to be careful in setting this up. The export/imports use CSV files which are flat files, ie they have single rows and columns whereas the database is n-dimensional meaning it has many rows and columns. Which means that not all information can be included in an export and likewise the import has to make some assumptions.

You haven't mentioned the error other than it 'failed'. But I would guess it's because you're not matching up the item location. If it can't find the location the import will default to the default location, if it doesn't have enough stock then it will prevent the item from being added to the invoice. You could try Configure > Stock Levels and check 'Allow Negative Stock' then the items should be added even if they are from the wrong location.

If you're having an issue let me know what is going wrong and I can advise. But yes, I'm sorry, it's not technically a simple task.

Regards, John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: