iMagicSoft Support Forum Index iMagicSoft Support
iMagic Software Support

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Merging stocks from 2 locations to a single location

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenlinliu1419

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Merging stocks from 2 locations to a single location Reply with quote

I am attempting a trial run of merging all my stock from 2 locations to a single location. Both locations are currently logging into the same DB file.

I have exported all the inventory from both locations and then tried to merge all those products that are in stock from both sites. I found this to be quite tedious as I have over 25,000 products to vet through.

I only realised afer doing this, I wasn't able to import my spreadsheet into a fresh DB file as all the data pertaining to the vendors was not exported at the beginning.

Can you advise how I should go about conducting this whole exercise when I eventually try it out for real in the next few weeks?
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenlin,

Thanks for the post.

For simple transfers between item locations, I'd suggest using - Inventory > Transfer Stock. This manages the complexity for you updating both stock locations at the same time.

If you're wanting to transform the inventory data then I would suggest exporting to Excel, transforming and reimporting. So in steps, exporting out to Excel (File > Export Inventory). Perform the transform with a query to update the stock level based on the second location and zero the old location. Export out to a CSV file. Then import back into iMagic Inventory with the overwrite option enabled (File > Import Inventory).

As you say assuming you're moving data between databases, it would probably be easier to have any vendor information already in the database so the import overwrite isn't having to assume too much.

Regards, John
kenlinliu1419

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Previous versions of iMagic Reply with quote

Jon,
In previous versions of iMagicInventory, I seem to recall that when exporting inventory, the vendor information was retained in the csv file. How come this information is no longer exported? Can it be included again?
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenlin,

Thanks for the reply.

Some time ago we only had a single Vendor for each Item, so on the export the vendor was exported on the File > Export Inventory. This is no longer the case, you can now have several Vendors for each Item. As the CSV file format is flat it doesn't support having multiple Vendors exported. We could export out the Preferred Vendor though, would that help?

Regards, John
kenlinliu1419

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at least having one vendor being shown is better having none at all. This would be extremely beneficial if you are starting with a fresh database but are still using the inventory data.
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenlin,

Thanks for the reply.

Not a problem, I've added this to our update list.

For blank databases this would probably be more of an Export Vendors - Import Vendors situation. But yes I see your point on inventory.

Regards, John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: