iMagicSoft Support Forum Index iMagicSoft Support
iMagic Software Support

SearchSearch   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top marks for the most stupid question - Vendor's Item No.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenlinliu1419

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Top marks for the most stupid question - Vendor's Item No. Reply with quote

This is probably going to make me sound like a complete idiot, but I'd rather look like an idiot in here than in my own company....

On the INVENTORY stock card, we have a field ITEM NUMBER which we use extensively. In it, we input the manufacturer's own product number (SKU).

Further down the screen is the Vendor and the VENDOR'S ITEM NO. What are we supposed to type for this item number? What is this field currently being used for?

I decided to try and see what happens if I typed Mickey Mouse in there. After setting the trigger point for the stock levels and the reorder point, I initiated the Stock Status & Reorder process.

Initially, I thought the results would indicate on the report the words Mickey Mouse, but it did not. It results in the name of the product along with the ITEM NUMBER (SKU). This leaves to me to ask what is the field with Mickey Mouse used for?

#FeelingStupid
imagicsupport
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kenlin,

Thanks for the post.

I agree you're quite correct at this moment in time it's more confusing that it needs to be. Let me explain. Historically we didn't have a specific field for a Vendor item number (SKU), instead we relied on the Item Number field. The idea was that the same number/code would be used to reference the item both inside the business and externally (such as with suppliers).

This was recently changed however when we added the ability to associate several Vendors with a single item. At that time we also took the opportunity to add in the option to record a specific Vendor Number. The idea being that if you have several Vendors each supplying the same item they may well use their own unique reference system. This can then all be centrally recorded inside iMagic Inventory.

From the inventory management side this allows you to record not only which Vendors can supply a specific product, but also to choose which Vendor you're wanting to order from. If an item isn't available from one Vendor or the price is sufficiently different then during the reorder process the user can choose a different Vendor.

Many users will however not have entered a Vendor Reorder Number yet, so at this time we're using the internal Item Number on the reorders. This will be added in a future update, perhaps as a user preference to toggle between the two.

So for now your Mickey Mouse can be referenced internally (as well as exported) but will not show on the vendor reorder. He will however appear in the near future.

Regards, Jon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iMagicSoft Support Forum Index -> iMagic Inventory Software All times are GMT + 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: